Sunday, April 22, 2018

House Plants Outside on Work Table

I found this primitive old work table on the side of the road quite late on the last day of the town's junk days for residents. I have had it for a couple of years or more. The top had some kind of covering and a million rusty nails. I honestly didn't know the front stretcher was in old blue paint too. The paint was what attracted me to it in the first place in a huge pile of discarded items, probably from a barn. Yesterday I removed the composite top and all the rusty nails and scrubbed it down with hot soapy water. I moved some of my house plants outside today and it is starting to get me excited about my balcony again. I washed it down yesterday with a deep cleaning deck wash in a bucket of hot water and swabbed it with a mop. It is looking almost new again in the hot sun this morning. The sun is continuing to bleach the embedded mildew. I shall stop obsessing about it now and maybe concentrate on a little inside cleaning. (Smile)
I adore my roadside finds and feel good about saving this table from the landfill, especially since today is EARTH DAY 2018. Happy Sunday. See you later. xo

7 comments:

Gail, northern California said...

Always nice to have a table that can withstand use and abuse....and look the better for it! ;-)

You can almost hear houseplants breathing deeply when transferred outdoors.

Pam said...

You snagged a lovely old table! I really like that shade of blue. I have a smaller table built similar to yours, and it's painted green. You've inspired me to haul it out of the garden shed, to see if I can come up with a plan for it. It's always fun to watch plants grow, and having them in a convenient spot will make it easier to tend them.

Content in a Cottage said...

Gail, northern California -- Gail, Exactly! It's so nice to have an outdoor piece I don't have to worry about and try to protect. This table has already endured two years outside as a potting table. It has many years left and I am so glad I decide to feature it on my balcony. It has already given me several days of pleasure. It's so nice to have the plants I have been wintering over outside again too!!!
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I hope your green table gives you as much pleasure as my blue one is giving me. I only wish I had decided to feature it sooner.
xo, Rosemary

The Queen Vee said...

I love your roadside finds so much and am a bit envious as you would never find anything like them where I live now. That blue paint is just beautiful and even more so due to aging. I love how you placed it on your deck with French cafe chairs and plants....just a lovely welcoming arrangement.

I too have been bringing out our patio furniture and today I cleaned and tidied up our garage. It didn't require a lot of effort but it looks so much better. Tomorrow I will plant a few things in our beds and make a plan to buy more shrubs and a couple of trees to fill in...it was such a relief to see almost all of our plantings from last year had survived and are growing....I love spring and all the renewal and the tiding up.

Linda said...

Happy endings for all: the deck, the table, and plants thanks to you, Rosemary. Don't worry about chores indoors . . . it's healthy and liberating to at last be able to work in the fresh air.

Content in a Cottage said...

The Queen Vee -- Victoria, I am so happy to hear that your new plants survived the winter at your new home. It should be lovely this spring and I know you will enjoy seeing it wake up. I put my indoor plants outside too early and have to bring them in at night. It was 35 degrees when I woke up this morning so the nights are still too cold.
xo, Rosemary